Thursday, September 15, 2011

Martin jol: I made a mistake by starting Ruiz

Martin Jol has admitted he made a mistake starting record signing Bryan Ruiz in Fulham's disappointing Barclays Premier League draw with Blackburn. Jol's decision to throw his new £10.6m striker in at the deep end backfired on Sunday, with Ruiz hauled off at half-time after failing to cope with the pace of the English game. And Cottagers boss Jol has held his hands up, acknowledging he should have given Ruiz a more gentle introduction by starting Mousa Dembele and bringing the new man off the bench. Jol said: "In hindsight, I would have started Mousa and then brought him on because he's good when there's a lot of pressure on the goal, space in the box, and Bryan Ruiz probably would have given us a lot second half. Jol added: "It's always difficult - if you come to the Premier League - your first game. I wouldn't say it's a gamble but you have to start somewhere and that was a decision we had to make and I made the decision to play him. But, of course, it's a different tempo and he lost the ball a couple of times."

No comments:

your search

Custom Search